Activated charcoal has a long list of benefits:
- Treats poisoning and drug overdoses (used in emergency centers)
- Whitens teeth
- Relieves gas and bloating
- Prevents hangovers
- Cleanses the body of mold
- Filters water
- Treats body odor
- Fights acne
- Relieves discomfort from bug bites and stings, snake bites, and poison ivy or oak rashes
- Promotes healthy digestion and cleansing
- Reduces high cholesterol
- Anti-aging properties
This isn’t the same charcoal you use in your barbecue. Activated charcoal has been oxidized, causing the surface to become porous and therefore able to attract metals, chemicals, and toxins.
This is great news for your face! Think of this mask a magnet for all the stuff you don’t want in your skin. Although it works great on its own, combined with a few other powerhouse ingredients makes this recipe a must-try for purified, refreshed skin.
- 2 capsules (or 1/2 teaspoon) activated charcoal
- ½ teaspoon bentonite clay
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil, softened or melted
- 1 teaspoon water
Mix activated charcoal and bentonite clay in a small bowl, trying to avoid using any metal bowls or utensils (as the charcoal will try to pull the metal). Stir in coconut oil and water until well combined.
To use: Apply to a clean face. Allow mask to dry; remove with a warm, wet washcloth. Keep in mind that activated charcoal can be messy, so avoid getting it on anything during mixing or application process.