During the winter months, our skin needs extra protection against freezing temperatures, bitter winds, and drying indoor heat. If you suffer from chapped, rough hands during this season, this homemade whipped body butter is perfect for you!
The ingredients that go into making this lotion are moisturizing, healing, and the absolute best thing you can give your skin this winter. Not only will it provide a barrier between your skin and the harsh elements, it will help heal any winter-related skin issues you may already be having.
Homemade lotion is easier than you think; once you get your hands on the ingredients, it takes just a few simple steps and voila, you’ve made lotion! However, DIY lotion requires the highest level of cleanliness to inhibit bacterial growth and mold, so it is crucial to use thoroughly cleaned utensils, pans, bowls, and counters from start to finish.
Ingredients (organic is best)
- 1 oz. kokum butter
- 3 oz. organic olive oil (plain works fine, but herb-infused is ideal)
- 6 fluid oz. liquid of choice (aloe vera gel, calendula hydrosol, lavender hydrosol, rose geranium hydrosol, strong infusion of green tea)
- ½ oz. organic vegetable glycerin OR raw, organic honey
- ½ oz. emulsifying wax
- ½ oz. stearic acid
- 0.1 oz. citric acid
- 0.1 oz. rosemary antioxidant extract
- Essential Oil Blend
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 15 drops frankincense essential oil
- 25 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 30 drops chamomile OR lavender essential oil
- In a small saucepan, combine kokum butter, oil, liquid of choice, glycerin or honey, wax, and both acids.
- Heat mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until everything is melted and thoroughly combined.
- Remove from stove, and use an immersion blender or wire wisk to stir intermittently until cool, thick, and creamy.
- Add rosemary extract and essential oils and stir well.
- Store in glass jars with tight-fitting lids in a cool location away from direct sunlight. If you fill more than one container, put the extras in the refrigerator until ready to use to avoid spoilage.
Unrefrigerated, this lotion will last 4-6 months. However, if there is any sign of mold or spoiling, throw it out immediately!