- ½ cup olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil
- 2 level tablespoons beeswax pastilles *
- 20 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon or clove oil (optional)
*For an even simpler recipe, beeswax pastilles can be omitted. Use coconut oil and essential oils only for a similar result (though the consistency will be different and not quite as ideal).
- Melt beeswax and oil in a double boiler until just melted.
- Add the essential oils. For a child-friendly product, use only half the directed amount of oils or dilute with coconut oil before using.
- Stir until thoroughly combined; store in containers with lids in a cool location.
To use: Apply to chest or bottom of feet as needed to help reduce coughing and congestion.
If you prefer to use herbs rather than essential oils, you can infuse your oil of choice with one tablespoon of each of the herbs in a double boiler over medium heat for 2 hours. Strain before storage.
Keep in mind that many essential oils, including several used in this recipe, are not considered safe for babies or small children. It is important to consult with your health care professional before using any oils or herbs on your children; recipes such as this one are often diluted and used very minimally for young children.